Tuesday, January 15, 2008

yuck

it's snowing. again. enough said.

Both girls have doctor's appointments this afternoon. They both have fevers and terrible coughs and green snot. Oh the joys of being a mom. I never in a million years thought that one of my duties as a mom would be to describe the color & texture of mucous to a doctor or nurse. Hannah gets mean when she is sick. I don't know if it is the medicine or a result of just not feeling well. She helped Ainsley stand up the other day, then looked at her, got a really mean look on her face and put both hands on Ainsley's chest and PUSHED! Ainsley fell pretty hard. Yeah, she got a BIG timeout for that one. Yesterday, she hit Ainsley on the head using one of her doll's arms. When I talked to her about it she insisted that she didn't hit Ainsley, her doll did it. Ugh. So much fun lately! Her little OCD tendencies come shining through, too! She has picked her finger and toenails to death. She has little sores around her fingers from picking at them. But if we don't have a streak of healthiness soon, I may go crazy.

On a totally different subject, my neighbor found a dresser for me yesterday. She loaded it in the back of her van and put it on the front porch. I went out and immediately started sanding the wood. It was in terrible shape when she first brought it to me. I sanded off layers of greasy old stain, nailpolish, stickers and other grime that I would rather not think about. And I uncovered the most beautiful solid oak. I was hoping to be able to put new hardware on the dresser, too, but I don't know if I can. I don't want to sand too much of the wood away and the old stain is too deep. Whoever originally did this piece didn't treat the wood prior to staining it. And they stained around the hardware. so, under the hardware was raw wood. I LOVE working with wood. There is just something so satisfying and therapeutic about it. I am taking this old cast-off piece of furniture and making it beautiful again! It will be used and have a purpose once again. Maybe I am just being too reflective today, but think about that in terms of what we can do with ourselves. No matter how ugly and yucky we look or feel, we can get rid of the old yucky layers and start over. It's never too late to be what you want to be. I haven't taken any pictures yet. I only got two drawers done. I started with the worst ones to see if they could even be salvaged. And they are beautiful! So, before I do anymore I will take some pictures and post them. I should probably go outside and cover them since it is snowing! It felt so good to be outside with my electric sander and my woodworking stuff again! Love it!

and it is snowing really hard now. I am going to go bathe my kids so that we're ready to go to the doctor's office at appointment time. And then I'll probably do some dishes and cleaning since I have not done a single useful thing all day!

7 comments:

chrissy said...

Cool! I can't wait to see what the new dressers look like. We had a few old dressers that we wanted to refinish, but we never got around to it.

I hope your girls are feeling better soon.

Mary said...

and what kind of green snot was that... ;) being a mom is great isn't it? Hope everyone feels better soon. All of you need a break.
you should have taken before and after pictures of your dresser. I can't wait to see how it turns out! I don't know if we own a solid wood piece of furniture. So pathetic.

Aleisha said...

Its not fun being sick, especially when you just got over being sick. Hope they get feeling better soon. And dont worry about hannah. I think its the age. Rylan is doing that to Kyler as well and its driving me crazy. When hes alone, hes an angel. When Kyler comes into the room, he is mean and teases him to no end. Its so sad. I wish I knew what that kid was thinking sometimes. And Its sad, because Kyler only wants to play with his big brother. I sure hope they grow out of this phase fast!

Melinda said...

I hope you can get everyone healthy again! It seems like Brenna and Sarah are fighting and picking on each other half the time lately- it's driving me nuts!

Yes, show us some before photos of the dresser! sounds like a neat project! and thanks for the blurb link- a friend of mine has been talking about doing that for a while with her DS's blog that he has been keeping since we started college last year, so I sent her the link too!

Kathryn said...

Geez, sounds like one of those blah days! Green snot (or maybe it's the sick part) seems to have that effect.... Hang in there!

Kathryn said...

Geez, sounds like one of those blah days! Green snot (or maybe it's the sick part) seems to have that effect.... Hang in there!

Jenna said...

we need pictures of the dresser!