Thursday, January 17, 2008

healthy eating

Okay, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! We have been to the doctor's office more times than I care to count. We have a pharmacy of over the counter and prescription medication, and we are still sick! What is wrong with this picture? Thomas and I have both been losing weight, and we have attributed that to the fact that we rarely eat out anymore. I used to think that my family ate pretty well. But the last week or so I have started paying more attention to food labels. Do you know what kind of garbage is in your food? I have food allergies, so if I try a new food, I read the labels. Even if it is something that I just haven't eaten in a while, I check to make sure that there are no new ingredients, or any ingredients that I have developed an allergy to since I last ate it. I tell you this because I thought last week that I might have a kidney infection. I didn't want to go to the doctor, mainly because I don't have a doctor here yet. So, I figured I could go get some cranberry juice and that might help until I could find a good doctor. I read the labels on over 15 different varieties of cranberry "juice". The ones that were actually made of juice were mostly apple juice, grape juice and pear juice with a smidge of cranberry thrown in. I couldn't believe how much sugar is in this "juice". I can't believe I give this stuff to my kids thinking it's healthy. It's one thing for me to let Hannah have some Kool-Aid. I know it's straight sugar. But so is the dang juice! And then I sat back and looked at the meals that Hannah has eaten lately. Every morning she eats a Pop-Tart for breakfast. And don't even think about trying to swap it out for anything else. She is a creature of habit and will screw up her entire day. Trust me! Then lunch is either chicken nuggets or a turkey sandwich or a hotdog with fruit. Not terrible on non-hotdog days. The nuggets are all white breast meat and are baked not fried. But dinner sure doesn't vary much. She usually ends up with more nuggets, pizza, another turkey sandwich, or hotdog. I make her eat more fruit and some vegetables. But it's like pulling teeth. I know that kids are picky eaters. I always make her try whatever we are having for dinner. But our meals are not much healthier. They are real food, not processed or pre-packaged meals, but we eat way too much meat and not enough fresh vegetables and grains.

So, to connect the dots... I think the reason we are sick all the time is a lack of healthy eating. Well, that is one of the many reasons. I think we are getting ready to try a radically different style of eating in our home. We are going to ease into it; I don't want to shock our digestive systems! But I am going to start baking more our of breads and tortillas. Eventually I want to get my own wheat grinder and grind my own flour, but we'll start off slow at first! :) I have already started planning my vegetable garden for the summer. My goal is to get my family eating and enjoying more vegetables than just canned green beans and frozen corn. I did manage to disguise sweet potatoes enough for Thomas to like it. I substituted sweet potatoes for pumpkin in pumpkin bread. It was really good. Not terribly healthy, but he ate sweet potatoes and he is still alive! Okay, so if anyone has any good recipes for healthy ways to disguise veggies or good recipes for whole grain breads, let me know! Feel free to post them in the comments section. And if anyone else wants any recipes, I'll post reviews on the ones that I try. *Note* Due to food allergies I won't be able to try all of them! :) If you find one here and try it, post a comment with a review or send it to me in an email!

11 comments:

chrissy said...

I totally agree with you. I know there's definitely a link between living healthy and BEING healthy! I had a friend who's kids were ALWAYS sick. And not just snotty noses (it seems like my kids have permanent runny noses all winter long...), but infection after infection, virus after virus. We hardly ever got sick being around them, though. I think it's a combination of eating right/ taking a good vitamin, and getting enough sleep. Good luck with sneaking in the veggies! I don't have any advice. I just buy 'em, cook 'em, and MAKE my kids eat 'em. They usually will. But it would make our dinner time happier if they all magically loved vegetables overnight...Oh well, I can dream!

Aleisha said...

The only way I can get my kids to eat veggies without giving them there favorite (green beans) every night, I have to take my small little food blender (5 dollars at walmart) and minced the veggies up so fine, that they cant tell what it is. They never ask and they eat it right up. Works every time, even with veggie hating stuart. As far as adding more grain into your diet, if you dont want to add all wheat flour to your bread, half white flour with wheat. You cant even tell the diffrence. As far as Hannah, I think thats the age. Rylan is the same way. I am lucky with Kyler, he will eat anything. But Rylan, Chicken Nuggests, Grilled cheese, mac n cheese, and PB&J's. He hates meat, but he will eat Chicken Nuggets. They love fruit. Try mincing the veggies, they will never know. =o) Hope that helps.

Christina Bland said...

Hi Meredith,

Long time since I talked with you.We were thinking about yall the other day and I found your blog by googling (kinda weird), along with all of your scraping stuff- its all so great. Brian Larkin from Coggin Honda told us yall had moved and were doing good.The girls are so cute!! Hannah has gotten so big.

I have a website for you to visit on tricking kinds to eat good...
http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

These recipes are from Jerry Seinfelds wife Jessica, she has been on Oprah and The Today Show with her recipes and her cookbook. She incorporates fruit and veggies into all sorts of stuff, Cookies, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, etc..

Hope this helps with some ideas.

Take care and best wishes.

Mary said...

I so agree. We eat more processed foods than I would like, and I want to get better about that this year. This is one of the reasons I want to try sprouting. They are so healthy, and Eli will usually try everything once. I feel very blessed because he is such a good eater. He has his preferences, but he eats whatever meals I cook... and will eat vegetables and fruits. We eat so few fresh veggies in the winter. :(

I've been told that juice is no better than giving your kids soda. (which is depressing) We still do it, but you're right. You really need to watch the labels. A lot of them aren't even actual JUICE! I don't have any recipes, because its something that I still struggle with. My step 1 is WAY behind your step 1. Good luck. And keep me updated.

Kara and Theo said...

Hey Meredith, I have to agree with the Deceptively Delicious book by Jessica Seinfeld. I so want to buy that one. I flipped through it at the bookstore, but on our 5 family budget it isn't a necessity unless you can use the pages as diapers. As far as the juice goes, when I give it to my kids I add half water, half juice, that cuts down on their sugar intake. Or you could add a juicer to your list next to the wheat grinder and just make your own. =) Good Luck!

Meredith said...

christina!!!!!! hi! we were just talking about you guys the other day & wondering how you were doing! yea! so glad you found us! I will definitely check out that site!

lol, kara! i know the feeling about diapers! we dilute the juice, too. we started doing it because apple juice is really hard on hannah's stomach, but now I am glad! she's never had full octane juice! lol!

aleisha, i have one of the small food processors. i'll have to try mincing the food really fine.

mary, thanks so much for the email with the recipes!

wish me luck, ladies! i'm off to change the world! or at least my family's world!

Kathryn said...

Soup! That's how we get our veggies around here.
Also, have you ever tried sweet potato fries? Cut sweet potatoes into wedges, sprinkles with salt and oil, bake for 30-ish min on 425, and eat with lots of ketchup. As good as fries, but more vitamins and stuff!

Kathryn said...

p.s. I just ate 2 1/2 cookies and a glass of milk for lunch, so maybe you shouldn't listen to my hypocritical advice!

Cheryl said...

I agree with you...I am always fighting to get my men to eat right and they have a mind of their own now.

However, I will say one thing I feel I did right over the years was to feed them fortified cereal! They eat a ton of it with milk, for breakfast and for snacks. Sure, it as a lot of sugar in it, but it also has a lot of vitimans in it.

I had one son graduate without ever missing one day of school (13 years) and another one finishing up his junior year doing the same. I contribute it all to fortified cereal!

chrissy said...

On a TOTALLY different note, when you check your Sitemeter and it shows someone from Colorado looking at your blog everyday for like, an hour, don't be alarmed. It's just me! I leave your blog open while I'm on the computer. You've got a great selection of music!

:)

Tracey said...

We blend raw carrots and almonds into yummy fruit shakes. My 8 year old daughter would never know the difference. This week I'm gonna start trying the Deceptively Delicious tricks to get more veggies in her!