Wednesday, January 09, 2008

BYU study: Parents don’t view their college students as adults

Check out this article. It is about a study conducted by Larry Nelson, who was my Sunday School teacher when I was 16 years old! He is the one who inspired me to take my very first Family Science class at BYU with Dr. Scoresby, the class that made me decide what to major in! Thanks, Larry! :) a financially useless degree, but one i am increasingly grateful for! I can't wait to read the actual study. Larry is an amazing teacher and speaker, so I imagine his study will be interesting as well. Enjoy it!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I find it interesting that almost ALL of the kids thought being financially independent was necessary, but not as many of the parents thought that was necessary. :) I guess as parents, we are always there to help our kids! Interesting article...

chrissy said...

Hmm. I can understand both sides, but I think I'm leaning towards how the parents think. I don't think that where you are in life (as far as a career and money) are near the importance of acting mature and responsible.

I dunno, I just don't think that turning 18 magically prepares you for adulthood. In fact, there's just not many 18 year olds who I know that are "grown-ups"! Heck, I'm 26 and I still don't feel like a grown-up sometimes, and I'm married and have 3 kids!

Interesting stuff, Mere.

Amber said...

Yeah, I agree with this. It wasn't until Chloe that I actually felt like an adult. Even when I had a job and my own house I still felt like a "teenager." Now I have neither. But I still feel like a mom.