Friday, January 04, 2008

Brittney mania... ugh!

Okay, so I am going to break out of my typical complain-about-my-day and here's-my-latest-greatest-scrapbook-page posts to venture into the Britney Spears discussion. Apparently she was taken out of her house on a stretcher after she failed to deliver the kids to K's bodyguard. I don't know the details, and I don't care to know them. That is the point of this post! I saw a thread on a message board over at DigiShopTalk, a digiscrap site about what was going on. One of the posters linked to a blog called Dad Gone Mad. Apparently his posts are normally pretty crude, but this one was pretty good. *I do not advocate reading the rest of his blog posts*

Toxic

I’m sitting here this morning wondering when our senses of compassion and respect deteriorated to this point.

When did we become so callous and heartless that we started to view a young mother struggling with a mental illness as entertainment?

When did we stop trying to empathize?

When did we find ourselves so miserable with our own existences that we started to distract ourselves by watching someone else fall apart live on TMZ?

I hear the feeble attempts at logic.

When she decided to become an entertainer, she gave up her right to privacy.

Oh, I see. So because she's makes her living in a spotlight, she can never leave it. Even when that light irrefutably reveals that she's unwell, that she needs help, that the decent and humane thing to do would be to turn the light off and leave her alone, we refuse.

And let's not stop at simply broadcasting her breakdown; let's taunt her on her way down. Let's call her "Unfitney" and repost pictures of her crotch and act as though we have been personally effected by someone else's breakdown.

If it bleeds, it leads.

Better her than me.

I’m sitting here this morning wondering if anyone else sees more than one tragedy here.

I completely agree with him. I could not care any less about Brittany that I already do. However, I do have concerns for her children. Just the same as I would have concerns over any child in that kind of setting. Most people keep saying that they think they'll be okay, eventually, because they are so young. Exactly my point! They are so young! The first few years in a child's life are CRUCIAL to developing a healthy attachment. If their mom is never around or is always depressed or doped up, who are they developing an attachment to? Is K-Fed a good enough dad to give them what they need? Or maybe the kids will develop an attachment to their maternal grandmother. Now that would be something! She has already completely screwed up two kids... let's give her two more! My heart breaks for these children! Do you know what happens to children who don't have a healthy attachment? They develop things like Defiance Disorder and Failure to Thrive Syndrome. They become rapists and serial killers and have no conscience. I am not saying that this is going to happen to Brittany's kids. I sincerely hope that she can pull herself together and become a good mother to her two little ones before it is too late. It just scares me because it could happen. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

I feel so sorry for poor Britney. Her life just keeps getting worse and worse! She needs to get the heck out of Hollywood and live a normal life for a while. I feel bad that she can't see her kids :( You know they probably miss her so much, even if she is screwed up!

Lindsay said...

Oh, and I do think she is mentally ill and needs psychiatric care. I forgot to add that.

Aleisha said...

Yea, I need to get out of my depression streak right now. That just freaked me out, and I dont want my kids to turn out that way. And, they should leave the poor girl alone. Being a mother alone is stressful enough. To add everything else into, I think I would go mad too.

Aleisha said...

Yea, I need to get out of my depression streak right now. That just freaked me out, and I dont want my kids to turn out that way. And, they should leave the poor girl alone. Being a mother alone is stressful enough. To add everything else into, I think I would go mad too.

Mary said...

Thanks Mere. I completely agree. Going back to what the blogger guy said about turning off the light, its like when these stars are going through their hardest times, the media goes into OVERDRIVE! At the one time when the right thing to do is leave them alone... It absolutely drives me crazy. My heart breaks for these kids. Its hard enough to be raised in hollywood without your mom (or parents) going through such hard times. To me, Brittany was always 'trying' to be seen in the spotlight and she asked for a lot of what she got in the past. Now she is obviously unwell, and the best thing we should do for her is support her in any pursuit to get help. Getting help for her will benefit not only herself, but also these small children.

Brown Family said...

I agree 100%. I don't care for her myself, but that doesn't mean she is not a child of god! Our Heavenly Father loves her just as much as he loves us! My heart does ache for her and her children. As funny as it sounds because I don't know her, but I have said a couple of prayers for her. ;)LOL it makes me laugh thinking about her name being said in my prayers. LOL sorry, I don't know why I think that is funny. Okay I will stop now. Good post Meredith!