Sunday, October 07, 2007

yep, still sick!

every single one of us. Hannah is coughing less. Ainsley is choking less at night. Thomas and I both feel like we have been hit by really big trucks. But that hasn't stopped us! Last night the girls and I went to my sister-in-law's house for dinner and to hang out while Thomas went with his dad and the rest of the boys to dinner and to a church meeting for the men. The girls and I had a really good time! Hannah was so cranky before we left home and didn't want to go to Aunt Chrissy's house to play. By the time we left Chrissy's house, she cried because she wanted to stay and play with Aunt Chrissy's kids, Carter and "the girl". lol! Thomas and I got a laugh out of that. When we asked her what "the girl's" name was, she knew. She just refused to say her name. What a goofy kid! Don't worry! Chrissy's kids all have colds, too, so we weren't infecting otherwise healthy people with our germs.

This weekend was the General Conference for our church. We had the opportunity to spend 8 to 10 hours throughout this weekend listening to the words of our church leaders. I really enjoyed listening. One talk in particular really struck me as important. Henry Eyring spoke about how years ago he decided to begin keeping a journal about the things that happened everyday in his family's life that showed the hand of God. He soon realized that he wasn't keeping this journal for his own benefit but for the benefit of his children. I was thinking about this in relation to my own life and trying to figure out how I can incorporate this idea into what I already do. I feel like I do a pretty good job of documenting our lives through my scrapbooking, but looking back at most of my pages, I feel like they are just pretty pages. I really enjoy looking at them because I think they are beautiful. But they don't generally reflect the spiritual aspect of our family life. And that is such a HUGE aspect of our family. I am not going to go back and re-do my scrapbooks, but I can begin to incorporate this into my scrapbooking. I think that more than "look at that adorable baby outfit I wore when I was six weeks old" the spiritual aspects our lives will be more fascinating to my children in 20 or 30 years. So, my new goal is to "see the hand of God" in my everyday life and incorporate that better into my memory keeping. Anyone else have a favorite talk from this weekend?

3 comments:

chrissy said...

Thanks for coming over to play with Carter and "the girl"! LOL

I started to leave a comment about conference but it got to be so long, so I cut it and pasted it as a post on my blog ;)

Jill said...

Hey there,
Conference has been amazing. I like your insight and want to do the same. I agree Eyring's talk was really impacting(is that a word, LOL)and is so important to do!! So many words of wisdom to soak in. I wish we could have this monthly. It's wonderful.
Good luck with the sickness still. I just can't believe it. Hang in there!!

Brown Family said...

Hope you all start feeling better soon!
I, too, enjoyed Henry B. Eyring's talk. I have decided to keep a journal of our family's blessings. What was so amazing about that was that he didn't miss a day of writing in it. It will be very challenging to do the same, but I am going to try.
Great post, Meredith!