Wednesday, October 03, 2007

How much $$ do you spend on a typical dinner?

I am trying to figure out the average cost per person that most people spend on a typical weeknight meal. I think we eat pretty cheap, but I would like to know what other families tend to spend. So, think of an average meal that your family frequently eats, add up the cost of ALL the ingredients, divide it by the number of servings it makes and post your results in the comments section...

For example... last night we had chicken & rice for thomas and chicken and stuffing for me. This is actually pretty "ritzy" for us, but I can't remember the last time I cooked before last night! Ingredients:
Rice: $.07
Chicken: $1.00
Crm of Chicken Soup $.59
stuffing: $.68
green beans: $.39
bread: $.50
sweet potato: $1
Our total is $4.23/4 servings or about $1.05 per serving
Now, typically, this dinner would cost about twice as much, but I used generic everything and got everything at a caselot sale.

I would like to see what everyone else does...

4 comments:

Robin said...

If I wasn't too lazy to go food shopping I could save a lot more! Just spent $10 on dinner - we ordered Mexican tonite at work - plus $1.50 for my diet coke! Isn't that terrible!

Unknown said...

Oh Meredith, I hear you on trying to stretch your food dollars! Let's see, I'll use an example from the other night:
turkey breast cutlets 2.50 (on sale)
boxed cheesy potatoes 1.50
fresh cauliflower 2.00
total: 6.00 / 6 servings = 1.00
Even though there are four of us, we had leftovers so I tried to guesstimate.

I'm going to email you a list of resources I use for stretching my food dollar! :-)

chrissy said...

oh geez, i don't know! why are you asking me to do all this hard stuff with math??? lol

Brown Family said...

Way too late in the afternoon to figure anything out. Sorry no help here. Good luck stretching that dollar!