Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tooting my own horn!

Okay, Mom & other family members who live to far to come visit me AND those slacker relatives who live close enough, but just haven't come over yet... HERE are the pictures of my house, finally put together. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it looks a TON better than it did a week ago.


This is my front door and the view into my house from the front door. I am very proud of my kitchen table! We didn't think we would have room for a kitchen table in this house!
As you come in the door and turn to the right, you are in the main living area. Please remember, these pictures were taken in the afternoon on Easter Sunday, after a long day of cooking, candy and kids!

Then, this is farther to the right. The doorway you can see between the couch and the chair is to our bedroom... not a hallway, directly into our bedroom. You'll get a better appreciation for our setup later into the tour.



This is the view from the door of the family room into the kitchen. Did I mention that it was late afternoon and the house is a mess?! If not, let me tell you that my kitchen doesn't usually look that bad. Sorry, Dad, my cupboard doors don't stay closed. The cupboards are too narrow for a box of cereal up top. And the bottom cupboards just don't stay closed. It makes me CRAZY!!! And that door next to the highchair DOES go into the bathroom. The far door is Hannah's room.

This is our bathroom. As you may have noticed, we don't have a ton of storage in this house. So, we put a dresser in the bathroom for bathroom stuff. It is going to be painted nutmeg once the weather gets a little warmer and spraypaint sticks. And the walls don't look that bad in person. I mopped them when we moved in, but I think I made them worse. I need to just stock up on Magic Erasers and scrub them.

When you go into Hannah's room, you see the window with her adorable new curtains! I pinned the flowers on the curtains all by myself. I know, I know, I'm talented! To the left of the door is the kids' closet. Yes, there is a dresser in the closet. No, there are no doors on the closet. The doors take up too much room, so we took them off. No one ever comes to our house, so functionality is more important than appearance for us in this little space. The door that you can see on the right side of the picture of the dressers is the door that goes down to the basement and out to the backyard. So, we can't block that door if we want to be able to do laundry or use our backdoor. It has a childproof handle on it so that Hannah can't escape. I am betting that we are going to have to add a high deadbolt before our lease is up!

To get a feel for the real size of this house, yes, that is a regular size twin bed. It goes from wall to wall.


Then, this is the view from Hannah's bedroom door back through the house. And the view from the kitchen door into the family room & our room. Our room isn't ready to be photographed at this point. We still don't have dressers for our clothes, so we have piles and baskets of laundry all over the place. But at least it's clean laundry.

A week ago, there were still a lot of boxes all over the house. Thomas and I were up until about 4am Sunday morning trying to get everything ready for Dylan & Ashley to come over for Easter dinner. We got a lot done, but we know that there is still a lot more to do. Our favorite part is that we have our table set up and we can eat dinner together as a family, and all have a chair! :) We only have two barstools, so someone always had to stand during dinner if we wanted to eat together. We love our little home and it finally feels like a home! Thomas picked out the family room curtains. I think he did a pretty good job! We found them at IKEA, along with the curtain rod. AND he hung up all the pictures and shelves, except for the crooked ones... I'll take responsibility for those. :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Meredith, the photos look great! You are I should share a few "living in a small space" tips...we don't have much storage either, so I feel for you. Looks like you've done a good job making your house a home...WTG!

Angie said...

Finally, your house pictures that I've been longing to see! VERY cute... and it looks very cozy! I love the family room curtains actually... Tell Thomas, nice job. I also really love Hannah's curtains. Maybe I'll spice up Maddy's.

Krystal Hartley said...

I'm so tired just reading this...I never want to move again. We've been in this house for just over 6 years, and it's still lacking in decor and functional things like bookcases. Good luck with getting everything the way you want it. It's looking good!

Aleisha said...

It looks so cozy. I love it. Great job on the decorating. Thats my favorite part of moving in to a new home. The cleaning, not so much. =o) What a great Home!

Mary said...

Ditto to everyone - and I got to see it in person! It really does look great. Like Krystals comment, we still haven't gotten around to decorating at our house. oh well. I can just be jealous. :)

Lindsay said...

Cute house! I LOVE Hannah's cute little room! You did a good job!