Thursday, April 05, 2007

My 2 year old is TOO smart!

One day, a couple of months ago, I had "Friends" on while I was folding laundry. One of the characters said, "Oh my G.." We don't say that in our home. Hannah immediately repeated it and I corrected her. I explained that we only say Heavenly Father's name when we are being reverent and kind and only when we need to say it. And we never say it when we are mad or upset. In fact, we don't even let her say "Oh my gosh." and we really try not to say it, either. Well, Hannah being the little stinker that she is, says it constantly, when she's mad, to make me mad. I really try not to react and get angry. I just tell her that it isn't appropriate to say Heavenly Father's name like that and ask her if she likes it when I say her name meanly.

So, tonight, we were reading in Alma, and one of the scripture verses said the word God. She looked at me and said, "Mommy, you said God." I tried to explain to her that it is okay to say God when we are reading our scriptures or when we are singing songs at church or when we are reverently talking about Heavenly Father. She said, "Oh. Okay. So I can say God when I am reading my scriptures." I explained to her that if she is reading the scriptures and the scripture words say God, then she can read it out loud or sing it in a song, etc... So, every night after we are done reading our few little verses of scripture that she will actually sit still for, Hannah whips out her picture of Abinadi and Alma (that she tore out of her copy of the Book of Mormon) and tells us about the pictures and what is going on in them and who the people are in the pictures. Well, tonight, Hannah pulled out her picture and said "Look, there is Abinadi and there are the wicked priests who hurt Abinadi. Look Mom, those bracelets on his arms look like bandages..." This went on as it typically does for about ten minutes and then Hannah looked up at me with this mischevious little glint in her eye and said, "Look, Mom, my scriptures say God, God, God. And because it says it in my scriptures, I can say it." ugh. think quick mom. "Yes, Hannah, but your scriptures say it reverently and you are not saying it reverently." Then Hannah says, "Okay, Mom." whew. crises averted. I never know how to handle things like that. And then Hannah looks up at me and says "But I can say it at church, because we are reverent at church." ::sigh:: i'll deal with that one on Sunday. "Okay, it's time for family prayers!"

________________
And on a totally different note, I have had over 100 ounces of fluid today and I am totally and completely parched! I feel like I could drink a gallon of water... well, not water, but maybe Kool-Aid. I really hope I can drink water again after this pregnancy. I miss drinking a glass of really cold water. It just hurts too bad to do it right now. anyway... i am off to sleep now! have a nice day!

5 comments:

Sislers said...

LOL...kids will try to get away with as much as they can. Makayla's always pushing her limit to see what she can get away with, so yes a little stinker as well.

We actually had to have Makayla leave the room when we watch "Friends" because the language has been repeated by her a couple of times, whoops!! We are very cautious of what we say or watch with her around :)

Aleisha said...

My mother can have quite the potty mouth when she gets upset, and rylan repeats everything. He has said the "s" word a few times. His bad word that he LOVES to repeat is Crap. But I think I would rather that be his bad word then the "s" word.

Audimc said...

You do have a smart one :) Why can't you drink water???

Meredith said...

water makes me sick to my stomach. someone told me that it is the chlorine in our water here in florida, so i tried bottled water... purified and spring... and it just makes me sick. i have really bad acid reflux and water just seems to makes it worse.

chrissy said...

Is the whole 'water' thing just because of being prego? That would suck so bad...