Monday, July 14, 2008

funny Hannah story...

So, last night I was putting Hannah to bed and she started talking about wanting to be a mommy soon. I told her that when she was older she could get married and then be a mommy.
She said, "I wonder what kind of husband I am going to have."
I said, "Well, he'll be someone who loves you lots and hopefully he'll have a LOT of patience!"
Hannah said, "Like a doctor?! A boy doctor? Doctors are girls, Mommy!"

I laughed so hard! Number one, she confused patience with patients. But then she thinks that doctors are girls. How different is that than when I was growing up? Female doctors weren't as easy to find. Hannah has never seen a male doctor. I had to tell her that both boys and girls can be doctors. It's just funny that she perceives the role of doctor as a female occupation when the rest of the world sees it as a predominately male occupation. The world is such a different place through the eyes of a child.

This weekend, when Thomas took Hannah to the grocery store with him, she was wearing a dress. She was sitting in the back of the cart and had her knees pulled up so that Thomas could put groceries around her. Thomas told her to pull her dress down so that the mean yucky people at the store couldn't see her p&%nties. She was disgusted that anyone would want to look at those anyway. Later that night, we all ran back to the store and Thomas teasingly asked her if she wanted to stay in the car or come into the store with us. She said, "I don't want to stay here with all these yucky people who want to look at my pa&^ies. " It's so sad that she has to lose some of her innocence because of dirty yucky people. But we live in an area where there are TONS of convicted s&^ offenders. So we have to teach her to be safe. I wish the world was a safer place for my kids.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Thats funny about Hannah and being a mommy. We are always telling Eli - when you grow up. So thats his new thing. He says 'When I'm a Daddy...' He was terrified of these bees yesterday, so Chris came out with the spray. Eli says, 'When I'm a daddy, I won't be scared anymore'. I think he thinks its going to happen literally overnight.
And I hate that they have to be raised in such scary times. I don't think it matters where you live anymore. We live 2 blocks from a bunch too. Its everywhere. :(

Angie said...

Hannah is SO funny! And she is SO smart too! Patients & patience... That is classic.

Robin said...

Hannah's story about doctors is so funny! :) Hope you get your computer woes solved soon too!

chrissy said...

Oh, Banana! She cracks me up. She's too smart. I don't think Carter would know what either of those words means!