Friday, May 05, 2006

life. ..

life is a funny thing. . . one minute you are here and everything is great and in the very next instant you can be gone. my granny died on monday, may 1, at 1:27am, about an hour and a half after my last post. it was very peaceful. on tuesday morning, my mom, my aunt helen, my aunt nelia, my cousin iris, my sister angie, my sister ashley, and my sister amber and i went to the funeral home and dressed my granny. usually you don't have 8 people doing that, but it was a good thing we did. it was a very special experience, one i will be grateful for forever. it was the last service i was able to do for her. the viewing was tuesday night. it was an emotional night, but was still not an unpleasant event. the funeral was wednesday morning. thomas gave the eulogy and did a marvelous job, as always. he is such a good speaker. the funeral was hard, much harder than i thought it would be. hannah was misbehaving, so the relief society president took her out for me. at 1:00 my parents went to the funeral home and witnessed the cremation. we have slowly been cleaning out my granny's room and dividing her "treasures" among family members. my granny never had any money or any material possesions that were worth anything. in fact, when she moved down to florida, she came only with what she could fit in her car, mostly clothes. i chose a crochet hook, because my grandmother was always crocheting. i have now become the family afghan maker because no one else really crochets. i am going to stay busy! :) i miss my granny and probably will every day of my life. i am making a mother's day album for my mom of her mother. i'll post it when i get it finished. i hope it turns out!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hugs Meredith! I am so sorry for your loss and I know how much your grandmother meant to you from all your posts. I am glad you could be with so many family members at this hard time. I know how hard it is to lose a grandmother. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you!

chrissy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Granny. What a blessing to have been so close to her. How sweet to have chosen her crochet hook! That made me cry!