Friday, May 12, 2006

Reasons Why I DigiScrap!

I have had a lot of questions and comments posted on my blog and in emails lately about digiscrapping, so I am going to answer all of them in one post! Here we go. . . .

Do you print everything out and put it together on a piece of cardstock or do you do everything on your computer?
Well, I do everything on my computer and then I have the completely finished product printed out on a piece of Kodak Royal Gold photo paper by a professional printing studio out of New York City. However, there are a lot of people who combine digital scrapbooking with paper scrapbooking. Many traditional scrapbookers use their computers a lot in their scrapbooking anyway. They do their titles and journaling and photo editing. I do all of this and then put it all together in a photo editing program. Check out Simple Scrapbooks Digital Scrapbooking 5 Magazine. I just got my copy the other day and I LOVE it! There are also links to free digital scrapbooking kits on their website if you want to check them out and play. All you need is a photo editing program and the digital kits!

You must have a lot of money to spend on scrapbooking supplies. . .
I wish! I am on a very tight budget!!! That is the main reason I got into digital scrapbooking! For the first 6 months I did digital scrapbooking, I exclusively used "freebies" from different websites and papers and elements that I created myself in Photoshop. Including printing costs (for 230 prints), sheet protectors, albums and digital kits I have spent about $300 in scrapbooking supplies in the last year. That probably seems like a lot, but $250 of it was in printing costs in the last month after I got my tax return. I only buy digital kits that I LOVE and know that I will get a lot of use out of them. The great thing about digital scrapbooking supplies is that you can never use them up! You can buy a pack of cardstock for $5 and in 25 layouts or less your cardstock is gone. But, when you buy a digital kit for $5 you can use it on 500 layouts if you want. The beauty of my situation is that I am on 4 different Creative Teams for different digital scrapbooking designers/stores/websites! Each month I get free kits to work with in exchange for creating layouts with their kits and posting them in a bunch of different digital scrapbooking galleries. This generates interest in their kits and they get more business and I get free scrapbooking supplies! I am on the Creative Team for Scrapdish.com and they have several different designers all with different scrapbooking styles. I am also on Ginger Thibodeau's Creative Team. She sells at 3Scrapateers.com and ScrapOutsideTheBox.com and a couple of other places, too, I think. I am also on SaraAmarie's Creative Team. She sells at 3Scrapateers.com. And I am also on the Creative Team at RAKScraps. Each month they have two or three sponsors and we get kits to work with from each sponsor. For May I get to work with kits from Eve Recinella, she sells at 3Scrapateers, who is an amazing designer and Amy Knepper who sells at Scrapdish. I love Amy's work! The great thing about being on the RAKScraps team is that each month I get to try kits from different designers. I have a very eclectic scrapbooking style. I like to try a little bit of everything. So, working with different designers suits me just fine! The difference in designers is the same in paper as it is in digital. Two of my favorite designers are Kim Crothers and ShabbyPrincess. Their work could not be more different! It would be like comparing Basic Gray with Bo Bunny.

Is digital scrapbooking hard? I'd have to sit and watch you for hours to figure it out. . .
Digital scrapbooking is not hard at all! I like to tell people that the basic idea is all drag and drop! The secret is to get to know your photo editing program very well. You could watch me use photoshop all day long and if you have Paint Shop Pro or Digital Image Pro you wouldn't have a clue what to do. There are tons of free tutorials on different digital scrapbooking websites for each program. There are some people who even digiscrap using Microsoft Word. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that!

anyway. . . I think that about covers everything. . . If anyone still has questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them! :)

1 comment:

chrissy said...

Wow! That about summed that up!