Friday, October 27, 2006

What is "Happiness"?

I was recently asked "Are you happy?" Well, of course I am happy. "No, are you really happy?" Well, I think so. Then I started thinking more. What is happiness? And this is what I came up with... true happiness is working toward an eternal goal. It is doing what you KNOW to be right and good and true. To me, it is taking care of my family, serving in church and taking care of my home. It is having a good marriage to a man who loves me and supports me (and not just financially!). My definition of happiness lead to me other trains of thought and side-notes. To most people in the world, happiness is a destination. It's about having fun and experiencing pleasure. To me, happiness is a process or a path. You constantly have to keep working toward it or you suddenly realize you aren't really happy. This lead to another question. "What would make you happy?" Loving and being loved in return. Serving and being served. A husband who has the same eternal goals as me. My beautiful daughter. My unborn child being healthy. The ability to worship God as I choose. I have most of these things in my life right now. So, am I happy? For the most part... yes. I have a lot of stress. I have a lot of things that I am working on doing better with in my life. My marriage is a work in progress, as all marriages should be. My daughter is beautiful. My pregnancy is difficult but my unborn child is healthy and strong. I am actively involved in my church and live my religion to the best of my ability.

My question to you is this... Are you happy? Really and truly happy? What do you need to make you happy?

And on a much lighter note... Hannah pooped in her diaper and decided to play with it! I had a fun morning cleaning that up. We have construction workers in our building and on our roof right now. They have been pounding on the building since 8am this morning. They knocked on our door this morning and made me move my car so that it didn't get crushed by a huge crane. That was nice of them! :) There was just a huge crash outside, so I am really glad I moved my car when I did! :) I woke up with a headache and needless to say, it hasn't gotten any better! Oh! I crave Motrin! and Excedrin! I fully expect a migraine by 3pm. Maybe Hannah will take a nap so I can rest, too.

Well, I am off to do more laundry. I got our sheets done this morning and the bathroom rugs. Now I am washing more maternity clothes that have been in boxes in the garage. I am getting to the point where nothing else fits. I am almost 14 weeks, so I guess it is time.

I don't know if I will be online much this weekend. So, if I don't blog until later next week, Happy Halloween!

No comments: