Tuesday, May 15, 2007

meatloaf recipe

okay, you asked for it! well, chrissy did at least. since there are only 2 of us that really eat this meatloaf in our house, this recipe goes for 1 lb of ground beef...makes enough for 3 good size servings. And I don't measure anything, so the amounts for the spices are just guesstimates and can be adjusted according to what you like!

1 lb lean ground beef (I prefer Costco ground beef)
2 teaspoons season salt (maybe a little more than that)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown gravy mix
1/2 cup oatmeal (can also use bread crumbs or crushed saltines)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 to 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 egg

Mix all ingredients together very well, making sure to thoroughly crush the ground beef. Spread into a greased (Pam spray works) loaf pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 450 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Remove from oven. Remove foil. Spread a thin layer of ketchup on top of the meatloaf. Sometimes I also drizzle a little bit of A1 on it. Place under broiler for 15 minutes if you like slightly crispy edges (we do!) or back in the oven if you don't.

If you are making more than 1 lb of meatloaf, use a bundt pan or an angel food cake pan. By cooking the meatloaf in a ring shape you won't get super-dry edges and a barely cooked middle. You'll also need to adjust the cooking time a bit.

If you want a slightly different variation, skip the worcestershire sauce and substitute barbeque sauce for the ketchup. I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's, but it is really spicy. If you want a less spicy version, more smoky flavor, use either KC Masterpiece or Kraft (it is surprisingly good). You'll also skip the A1 sauce on this version. Some people use a ground pork/beef mixture for this one, but I'm allergic to pork, so we use all beef...

4 comments:

Mary said...

ooh, that sounds good. My meatloaf recipe is for 2lbs of beef and you add a box of Stove Top stuffing. It sounds strange - but I swear its good. It just makes too much for us, so I only make it when I'm really in the mood for sandwiches for the next week. :) I'm going to have to try this one. I agree with the BBQ sauce vs ketchup. The only way to do it. We use Famous Daves though. Thanks!!

chrissy said...

Wow, that was quick, Mere! Sounds delicious! I'll have to make it soon.

Wait, Mary, what's the rest of the recipe??? Beef, stuffing, and what else? I love collecting recipes! Email me skaggbailey@hotmail.com if you don't mind!

Sislers said...

Since I don't eat red meat, can you or have you ever substituted the beef for ground turkey?

Meredith said...

ground turkey would be good with the barbeque recipe. my mom makes an amazing meatloaf with ground turkey and spinach. i'll have to see if she still has the recipe. it is sooooo good and i am not a huge fan of turkey or spinach! :)