Monday, February 19, 2007

My Weekend

My big plans for the weekend (or what's left of it) include scrapping and trying not to freeze to death! Here in Florida, we aren't used to being cold! Our blood doesn't know how to handle it! Our heat went out on Friday night. I called our property management office on Saturday morning and they finally found a company that works on gas heaters (no one uses natural gas here). The repair guy finally got to our house at 8:30pm... we waited around until 9:45 for the property maintenance guy to get here and open the hot water heater closet. Apparently we don't have a traditional gas heater. Which is good since the repairman didn't actually know how to fix gas heaters anyway. They went in the hot water heater closet for about 10 minutes and came back in and told us that we should have heat in about 2 hours. So.... at midnight, it was still cold. We bundled Hannah in her warmest fleece jammies and put her in bed with us. It was 29 degrees Saturday night. We called the property management group again after church on Sunday. They sent us out to get space heaters. So, we cranked those up last night. It was so COLD last night, even with the space heaters. It was 30 degrees again last night. My family laughs at us because they are in Chicago and Utah now and it is so much colder there. But apartments here aren't designed for cold weather. We have single paned glass windows (big ones) and terrible heaters (when they work). Our apartment also gets no natural light during the day, so it never gets warm in here just from the sun. The insulation in this place stinks, too! You can literally feel the cold air blowing in through the walls. Of course that might be because our walls are nothing but rotten wood... this whole place is going to fall down around us one day. And we live in a pretty nice condo complex. anyway... the soonest the apartment maintenance guy will even call the hot water heater contractors in tomorrow. Tonight is supposed to be the coldest night yet. It looks like Hannah is going to be sleeping with us for a few more nights. I don't sleep well when she is in bed with us. She kicks my blankets off and I have to sleep on my right side the entire night, because I am afraid she'll kick my belly if I sleep on my left side. Can't have her kicking my big old pregnant belly. I don't know what could possibly be wrong with our heater. It worked fine 2 weeks ago. I am going to be MAD if there is nothing wrong with the hot water heater and the problem is just a crappy furnace. Especially since the repairman said the furnace is OLD and it would take weeks to get parts for it. I am OVER this place... I'm not renewing my lease for next year. What a pain!

Hannah and I went to JoAnn Fabrics today. Flannel is on sale today and I got some adorable flannel prints for a couple of baby blankets. I got some new yarn, too. SO CUTE! I have an afghan to finish for Amber's baby. I am on the last row. I have the yarn for Ashley's baby blanket and for Chrissy's baby blanket and for Angie's baby blanket. Each afghan only takes me about a week to get done if I concentrate and just do it instead of playing on my computer at night. I have yarn to do about three more for my baby, too. I better get busy.

2 comments:

Aleisha said...

Wow, all three porter girls prego at once. Your mom must be so excited!!! We were going to start trying this summer, but we will lose Italy if we do. So cant start till next year. Oh well...time to travel europe before we do. =o) Our power went out for a week in washington and it was 16 degree's in our town home, we stuck it out for 5 nights. Finally when we all started getting really sick and coughing, I gave in and went to the base hotel. That night the power came back on. And again, the next night went out again for yet another day. I know how you feel. Hopefully you get it working soon. Good luck!!

chrissy said...

I can't believe it's that cold in sunny florida!!! That sucks.

On a happier note, I'm really excited for my baby blanket!!!