Sunday, February 25, 2007

Breastfeeding in public

Okay, I admit, I do it! I breastfeed in public. Well, I did when Hannah was a baby and I plan to do it again with this baby. And I find it offensive that other mature and responsible adults find it offensive. Check out this blog... I am not one of those whip out your boob and let it hang it out for ten minutes while you rummage through the diaper bag and then get around to feeding your baby kind of breastfeeding moms. I always make sure I am covered, but that the baby can breathe. You tell me, which is more offensive? a screaming child with a completely frazzled mother or a baby quietly eating with the slight chance of partially exposing my boob. PLEASE! People pay to see boobs, why are mine offensive? Because they are serving their actual intended purpose? Anyway... that's enough about that. I still have a while before I have to worry about "offending" people again.

3 comments:

chrissy said...

amen, sister. you pull out that boob! i'm with you all the way on this one. sure, there have been one or two times when i'm out and see a mom's completely exposed boob while she's nursing. it's a little uncomfortable, so i stop looking! it's MY problem that i'm uncomfortable, not hers.

Sislers said...

well since I haven't been there, I'm not sure what I'll do. I am not offended if someone is nursing...not sure what I'll do though.

Mary said...

I loved that story. It reminded me of when I was on an airplane with 9 month old Eli way past his bedtime. He needed a little comfort and guess where I got to sit?? Right next to this marine kid who had been in Iraq the last 2 years. I could tell he was a little uncomfortable, but there was no boob to be seen! Eli was completely covered. Oh well. He didn't say anything. So I've totally done it - and plan to do it again. I like how 'cracking knuckles' should be an immediate flogging! I agree!!! Come on people!