Saturday, November 04, 2006

My Daughter is a Terror!

I WILL NOT TAKE HER IN PUBLIC ANYMORE!!!!! At least not until we go to church tomorrow morning! She is an absolute terror! Yesterday, I took her shopping with my mom and sister and her husband. Hannah kept running away from me in the store. She was climbing out of the cart, trying to run out of the stores. The only time she sat still was when we got her a hotdog at the food court and then she managed to get ketchup EVERYWHERE and spill her Sprite all over her pants! Then my mom decided that she wanted to take everyone to see The Santa Clause 3. What a BAD idea! Hannah sat through the first 10-15 minutes. Then she started yelling that she wanted Grandma. I passed her down to Grandma, where she sat for about 7 minutes. Then she wanted Mommy. She sat still for another 5 minutes, then started crying that she wanted to go home. So, I took her downstairs (ampitheater style seating) and tried to get her to sit downstairs and watch the movie. But she didn't want anything to do with that. She wanted to go home and sit on her couch and watch Dora. So, we left the theater. As soon as we got into the lobby, she started SCREAMING that I was a mean mommy and she wanted to go watch Santa Clause with Grandma. She screamed all the way to the car. I finally got her calmed down and told her that if she wanted to watch the movei, we could go back in and sit quietly. She said she wanted to sit quietly. I tried again to get her to sit at the bottom of the stairs for quick get-away purposes. No WAY! She ran away from me and climbed the stairs to get to Grandma. Shelby, my lovely sister, was sitting in the end seat and it took her forever to realize that I wanted her to move over a seat. Even though I was saying it pretty loudly. Sometimes she doesn't pay attention to what we are saying. So, I sat down and as soon as I sat down, Hannah started screaming that she didn't want to sit in the dark, she wanted to go home. So, I dragged her little hiney down the stairs and out of the theater, with her screaming the entire time that she wanted her Grandma & Santa Clause. She screamed the entire way home. We got home and she cried and cried and cried. She said "I won't do it ever again. Take me back to my Grandma and my Everybodies." NOPE! And we aren't going back to anymore movies again. Not until they start doing the free summer kids movies again. Then I'll get to take TWO screaming kids! :) Then, dumb Mom that I am, I took her shopping again today. I had to get her a heavy jacket because it is getting rather cold here. I couldn't take her horrible behavior. Thankfully my mom and Ashley & Dylan were with us. Hannah LOVES her Uncle Dylan. He walked her around for a while. But she just runs off everytime she gets a chance. It scares me to death. I told her that someone was going to take her away from me and she would never see Mommy & Daddy again and her response was "Good. I don't like you. I want to go to Chicago with my Grandma." What did I do wrong? Are all Barely-2-yr-olds like this? Because I don't want another one!!!!!!! She hasn't been sleeping well lately and she has been so cranky and clingy! I am sure it is because of all the changes and stress we have had lately, but she sure doesn't make it easy to accomplish even the simplest of tasks. And keep in mind that I am not supposed to be carrying her AT ALL. I had to lift her about 10 times yesterday and almost that many today. She won't stay in a cart or a stroller. She knows how to unbuckle herself and climb out. I am so scared she is going to bust her head open. Goodness knows I don't need that stress, too! Anyway.... enough of that. She is a really cute kid and when we are home, she is great. Well, most of the time. She is sooooo smart! She told me all of her ABCs again today. And she knows most of the words to a lot of kids' songs. It's a good thing she is so darn cute! Speaking of.... We were driving in the car yesterday and some moron was in front of us. So, my mom yells, "What the heck? Get out of our darn way!" And from the backseat, you hear this little voice saying, "What the heck, peoples?! Get out of our way! We are going to see a darn movie!" And earlier this morning she asked me where her "darn dolls" were. I am going to kill my family if they don't start watching their mouths around this kid. She not only picks up certain phrases, but she knows when/how to use them. I have never called her dolls her "darn dolls" but she knows that people say that when they are frustrated. She is too smart for her own good.

well, Thomas should be home from work soon. I am looking forward to a quiet evening with low stress.... hopefully! :) I am going to go finish dinner. I threw a roast in the crockpot earlier with some Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce. It's not even close to my favorite sauce, but Thomas likes it. I prefer Woody's Sweet Sauce or Sweet Baby Ray's. Both of which we have in the fridge. I think you can tell a true southerner by the number of kinds of BBQ sauce they have in their fridge... we have Kraft (yuck! but Hannah likes it), KC Masterpiece (it's okay), Sweet Baby Ray's (soooo good), Woody's (the best) & Sonny's. We had a couple of other bottles but I threw them out last week because we NEVER ate them. Thomas's dad loves to come visit us because we take him to a different BBQ restaurant every night. He is coming in December, so I am trying to get ready. Smokey Bonez is a new one here. It's a chain, so if you have one near you, give it a try. Their sauces aren't traditional BBQ sauces. I really liked their BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich. Thomas loved their ribs. Hannah got chicken strips.

I am going to go now. I have to pick Thomas up at the clubhouse in a few minutes. I am going to see if I can convince him to go to Publix with me and get some buns for dinner and get a Coke/Pepsi at the gas station. I think I have earned one after dealing with the princess today! :)

4 comments:

Aleisha said...

Rylan is in that terrible two stage as well. He yells no thanks and runs. He doesnt want to sit and hates being told what to do. Hes great at home, but in public, a handful. And its rubbing off on kyler. He now loves to say no no. Lovely. My brother gave me a book called Christlike Parenting, taking the pain out of parenting. You can get it at deseretbook.com He backs everything up with scriptures, which I love and everything makes complete sense. That book has been heaven sent. I have only read the first three chapters and it is already working with rylan. I feel so much more peace in my house and it actually feels like the spirt dwells in my home and not some crazy yelling lady. If you get a chance, get
the book. Its helped me, my friends and family. And anything helps with two year olds.

Mary said...

I think we can all empathize with the 2 year olds... Elis new favorite thing to do is when he doesn't get what he wants - to scream at the ABSOLUTE top of his lungs for as long as his breath will allow. Then of course follow it up with an endless supply of crying.
Luckily I haven't ever dealt with him in a movie, but we had stake conf yesterday for 2 hours and it was a broadcast from SL... aka 2 hours of boredom for a 2yr old. It was a nightmare.

And I'm glad that I looked at these comments... I'm going to have to check out that parenting book. Thanks for the tip!!

chrissy said...

Yep, that sounds about right for a two year old. Don't make me remind you of all the Carter horror stories! I will tell you this...She's two, she doesn't "get it" yet, she's doing what all two year olds do. But the less you let her get away with now, the better she's going to be sooner! Carter has completely done a 180 the last six months. It's like he hit "3", and he's a completely different kid. However, Ryan's sister lacks in the discipline department, and her five year old acts worse than her 3 year old. I'm not having a five year old hit me and spit at me, no way! I'm not saying to be a nazi about it or anything, but the less they get away with, the better they turn out. That's my two cents, anyway. :)

otismiller said...

Oh dear! It sounds like things are out of control...I know the syndrome well....I had Thomas! This sounds nuts, but when you look back, these are the best times. They are intense moments, and when a bit of time passes you can see the humor. They stay in your memory because of the intensity, and you see that your child is really, really intellegent to figure out how she can twist things all around. She is a master psychologist at 2! (A chip off the old block as I recall.) Speaking of Thomas, please give him a kiss and wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY for me. I figured that it would be quicker to get to him if I went through you! Back to Hannah, Your Heavenly Father must really love you to entrust you two with such a bright, beautiful, creative, determined little spirit as Hannah. You are a special family!