Thursday, April 06, 2006

daddy's day off. . .

why is it that when it is daddy's day off from work, mommy has to work harder? thomas is playing his computer game right now and i am baking a cheesecake for his dessert. can i eat any of it? NO! and neither can hannah. . . at least i got him out of the house for a little bit, even though it was just to wal-mart for groceries. i hope the cheesecake is good. i don't have my recipe with me, so i had to use some new one. oh well, if it isn't good, maybe he won't ask me to make another one for him! :)

so, the update on granny. . . the cancer has spread to the tissues surrounding the lung and it was in the fluid in the sac around her lung. there isn't a chemotherapy that is very effective at treating this and it probably would be too difficult for her anyway. there isn't really anything they can do. she has had cancer for six years. she has been fighting this every day for six long years. i am amazed by her strength and her resilience. she has managed to stay mostly upbeat about all the changes and demands this disease has placed upon her body. i have a feeling that the next few months are going to be very difficult. there are a lot of things that she wants to do with her remaining time and i am sure that there will be a lot of visitors in and out of the house. this may mean that we have to put off our trip to utah for a month or so. maybe we would be better to come out at the beginning of august right before hannah's birthday. we'll see how things go.

other than that. . . there isn't a ton going on right now. we are still living at my parents' house and will likely be here another several months. i don't want to leave my mom alone right now, although hannah may be too much for my granny to deal with. i guess we will just have to see what happens. i am going to start looking around for an apartment should the need arise. wish me luck!

4 comments:

Mary said...

How miserable! I'm so sorry about your Granny - thats a long time to be fighting cancer. If I remember correctly, thats about how long my Grandpa had it. It was so hard.
And... why are you baking Thomas a cheesecake?? Tell him to get off the computer and bake it himself!! You're way too nice. ;)

Meredith said...

good question! :) he did watch hannah while i baked. . . i guess that is somewhat redeeming!

chrissy said...

I swear I commented on this post already... Maybe I was just thinking about it!

I'm so sorry about your granny. How is your mom through all this?

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas! I hope he knows how good he has it!

Meredith said...

things are really crazy right now. . . my mom seems to be doing well. she's stressed of course, but who wouldn't be?